16 October 2021

how to get external mic to work in Android phone

If you can't get your external mic to work on your Android phone.
Especially a wireless (lavelier) mic that uses USB type-c for the receiver.

This worked for me (2 steps for me. Maybe 1 step is enough for some)
I was trying a WIRELESS LAVALIER MIC with USB type-C receiver that plugs into phone.  
I have seen it work also for an external 3.5mm input wired mic. 

1...
Read more/less
Enable OTG in SETTINGS
OTG is 'on the go' for USB. Meant to let things connected via USB to 'plug and play'.
This powered up my external receiver when connected (i.e. red light came on).
But my wireless mic still wasn't used by the phone camera.

2
use OPEN CAMERA APP (from google play store).
this lets you set audio as external in it's video settings.
This worked for me.

I thought I would not be able to use my external mic, but this worked.
For my wireless mic, I needed 1 & 2 
OTG enabled for power, and OPEN CAMERA to switch to external audio

External mics not working with androids seems a common problem.   

My source of info for the above :
I read about OTG via an Ebay Seller of wireless mics for android phones.
My thanks to this youtuber for making me aware of OPEN CAMERA for external mic fix.

No comments: